Help needed configuring MAB on FreeRADIUS and Cisco switch

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 18:03:19 CEST 2012

Hi,

I've created a server running CentOS 6.2 and FreeRADIUS 2.1.10-5. I
also have installed the latest DaloRADIUS on the system to provide a
web UI since ultimately that is where people will be provisioning
systems from of which I believe it is installed correctly.

I also have a Cisco 3560G switch of which my aim is to create a
dynamic way of allocating VLANs similarly to VMPS, only by using
modern standards.

So far amongst others I have been following these pages:

http://wiki.freeradius.org/Cisco

http://wiki.freeradius.org/Mac-Auth

My configuration in the Cisco switch is attached:

In regards to the RADIUS config, I have these tables on MySQL:

+------------------------+
| Tables_in_radius       |
+------------------------+
| batch_history          |
| billing_history        |
| billing_merchant       |
| billing_paypal         |
| billing_plans          |
| billing_plans_profiles |
| billing_rates          |
| cui                    |
| dictionary             |
| hotspots               |
| invoice                |
| invoice_items          |
| invoice_status         |
| invoice_type           |
| nas                    |
| node                   |
| operators              |
| operators_acl          |
| operators_acl_files    |
| payment                |
| payment_type           |
| proxys                 |
| radacct                |
| radcheck               |
| radgroupcheck          |
| radgroupreply          |
| radhuntgroup           |
| radippool              |
| radpostauth            |
| radreply               |
| radusergroup           |
| realms                 |
| userbillinfo           |
| userinfo               |
| wimax                  |
+------------------------+

This is what clients.conf shows:

client switch1 {
	ipaddr = 10.0.0.1
	secret = pass
}

My sql.conf file has these lines in it:

sql {
	#
	#  Set the database to one of:
	#
	#	mysql, mssql, oracle, postgresql
	#
	database = "mysql"

	#
	#  Which FreeRADIUS driver to use.
	#
	driver = "rlm_sql_${database}"

	# Connection info:
	server = "localhost"
	#port = 3306
#	login = "radius"
#	password = "radpass"
	login = "root"

The username for the SQL server is root and no password has been set:
this is ok as the server is not connected to any network other then
the switch which is also not connected to anything!!

In DaloRADIUS I created a user using the MAC address of my test laptop
of which I then added the: AUTH-TYPE field as ACCEPT; EGRESS-VLANID
field as 10; EGRESS-VLAN NAME as TEST_VLAN

Unfortunately this hasn't worked and I am definitely missing something
here but what I'm not sure.

I am not very familiar with RADIUS (still learning) and through the
documentation I have been reading running any of the Cisco debug
commands or sh radius stuff didn't really tell me if the switch was
even linked to the server.

I additionally don't see anything in any of the RADIUS logs either.......

This is all I get:

# cat radius.log
Tue Jul 10 12:11:17 2012 : Info: Loaded virtual server inner-tunnel
Tue Jul 10 12:11:17 2012 : Info: Loaded virtual server <default>
Tue Jul 10 12:11:17 2012 : Info: Ready to process requests.
Wed Jul 11 10:46:02 2012 : Info: Exiting normally.
Wed Jul 11 10:46:02 2012 : Info: Loaded virtual server inner-tunnel
Wed Jul 11 10:46:02 2012 : Info: Loaded virtual server <default>
Wed Jul 11 10:46:02 2012 : Info: Ready to process requests.
Wed Jul 11 11:01:47 2012 : Info: Exiting normally.

I have even tried running radiusd -sX and radiusd -X which did not
print ANY debug output whatsoever :-(

Can anybody help me in getting started trying to figure out the problem?

Regards,

Kaya