How to log successful/unsuccessful login requests

John Giordano john.giordano at ttmi.us
Thu Jul 19 01:08:15 CEST 2012

Howdy,

So we have installed FreeRADIUS 2.1.7 via YUM on a 5.6 CentOS Server and 2.1.12 from source on a 5.1 RHEL Server.

Both are working and are running pretty sweet.  What I can't seem to get working though is getting the RADIUS server to log somewhere that user joe-bob logged in, then user daisy-duke failed to login, etc.  If I run the server in debug mode via radiusd -X I do see this spit to STDOUT.  However, how can I get it to log to a file somewhere on the disk is my question.

This is from the RHEL 5.1 server running latest, stable of the FreeRadius Server:

[root at foo radacct]# pwd
/usr/local/var/log/radius/radacct

[root at foo radacct]# ls -la
total 8
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Jul 18 17:01 .
drwx------ 3 root root 4096 Jul 18 17:01 ..
[root at ttmi-nms2 radacct]#

Nada....

I have this in the radiusd.conf:

prefix = /usr/local
exec_prefix = ${prefix}
sysconfdir = ${prefix}/etc
localstatedir = ${prefix}/var
sbindir = ${exec_prefix}/sbin
logdir = ${localstatedir}/log/radius
raddbdir = ${sysconfdir}/raddb
radacctdir = ${logdir}/radacct

and

  #  Log authentication requests to the log file.
        #
        #  allowed values: {no, yes}
        #
        auth = yes