Re: FreeRADIUS in failover - HA setup (question)(Arran Cudbard-Bell)

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Fri Jul 20 10:46:20 CEST 2012

> 1.- Although there are more options to achieve redundancy in MySQL I will choose either MySQL Cluster or MySQL Replication in which I believe (please
> correct me any time if I am wrong) you have the option of have a floating IP address,
> all nodes will be master in Cluster, and Master/Slave combinations could be setup in Replication in any case I will always connect to one MySQL IP address so why would I need to call more than one instance of SQL module?

You're probably talking about using MySQL-Proxy which is doing pretty much the same thing as FreeRADIUS. It's your choice whether you want to manage the failover using FreeRADIUS or another local service.

AFAIK MySQL cluster (NDB) itself does not have the option have have floating IP addresses. But I may be wrong, it's been a while since i've tried MySQL cluster. Could you point me to the documentation that says it does this?

> 2.- Also, I think Sun (x86 or 64) with Solaris 10 OS will be my platform of choice for the MySQL Cluster or Replication setup, would you recommend me to compile the FreeRADIUS 3.0 (from Git), in other words:
>   - Is there any special document or list of tips to compile FreeRADIUS 3.0 it under Solaris 10?, I have seen many post of people having compilation issues.
>   - In general, is Solaris 10 a recommended platform to run FreeRADIUS 3.0 ?

Yes use Git to clone the GitHub repository.

Sure it works OK. I've compiled from source a couple of times without issues. See here: http://wiki.freeradius.org/Solaris for additional help (Use OpenCSW to get the relevant libraries and build tools - http://www.opencsw.org/.).

There's also an SMF manifest in the scripts dir, if you want to manage FreeRADIUS from svcadm.

-Arran