FreeRADIUS performance information (tuning, benchmark)

alan buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Tue Jul 24 15:10:49 CEST 2012

Hi,

you could look at PGSQL optimization - ensure that the table has the right
indexes and the table is in cache etc.

> Try this: convert your SQL users into a "users" text file, like so:
>
> username	Cleartext-Password := "password"
>
> ...and disable SQL, then re-run the test. I think it will perform a
> lot better. If so, then you know that the bottleneck is SQL, and
> that you should focus your efforts there.

.the use 'fastusers' module instead. it'll scream along. if i dont get 5-figure
auths from such a box i'd be disappointed.

> >What are the best recommended improvements that should be done? Would
> >JRadius module help on improving performance? (I'm not familiar about
> >JRadius).

tweak your PGSQL, ensure you arent running any modules you dont need - eg the 'unix'
module which will query /etc/passwd for every single request, ensure that no logging
is blocking, ensure that accounting is buffered and not locking/blocking a thread,
basically get the system in a working state and then tweak/optimise.

alan