Problem with FreeRadius and D-Link switch

Jarosław Kłopotek jkl at interduo.pl
Sat Jun 2 01:11:18 CEST 2012

W dniu 2012-05-31 13:16, Alan DeKok pisze:
> Jarosław Kłopotek wrote:
>> I've got a problem with freeradius configuration:
>> I've to build a login to D-Link 3526 using FreeRadius Server
>>
>> I've run freeradius -X my output is:
>>
>> #v+
>> ++[preprocess] returns ok
>> ++[chap] returns noop
>    So... you've deleted most of the debug output.  Including the incoming
> packet.
>
>    That makes it pretty much impossible to help you.
Yes You were right.

>> ++[files] returns ok
>> ++[expiration] returns noop
>> ++[logintime] returns noop
>> [pap] WARNING! No "known good" password found for the user.
>> Authentication may fail because of this.
>    That message should be clear.  What part of it is hard to understand?
Not clear for me, because I was obviously sure that given password was
right. I checked it twice and twice again for anykind of typo.

>> My settings from radius is:
>    No, it's not.  It's from the "users" file.  There is no magic "radius"
> setting.
My bad that You didn't understand.

But when You are eating a salad in cheeseburger. You are saying that you
aren't eating cheeseburger?
If I change salad to onion, will be the cheesburger the same?
For me File called user is somekind of user database, freeradius is
using it, so in very shortcut it is radius setting
:-)
>    Use the correct terminology.  No one will understand you if you keep
> saying "south" when you mean "north".  And you'll get lost, too.
My bad. Er­ra­re hu­manum est. I am using radius for one year, but in
the pas I didn't touch the defaults from debian packages;]
>> yarii Cleartext-Password := "somepass"
>>          Crypt-Password := "something",
>>          Auth-Type:= Local,
>    That is wrong on many, many levels.  See "man users", and the other
> examples in the "users" file.

Wrong but worked for me. Of course passwords was changed to somepass and
something.

>> Anybody can help me? Where to find the problem?
>    You didn't follow the existing examples, documentation, or FAQ.

It is not true. I really got back to basics when the problem appeared.
I can recomend a book Freeradius Beginers guide "Manage your network
resources with FreeRADIUS" by Dirk van der Walt. It helped me go deeper
deeper and show me the problem.

Let the google index that:

PROBLEM:
My problem with D-Link 3526 and 3550 was:
The D-Link devices are cutting passwords by web to first 16 chars.

SOLUTION:
Use passwords shorter than 16 chars.

It f*ed me almost whole day.

Best Wishes