Freeraduis as accounting proxy

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Jun 4 13:48:41 CEST 2012

peterpz wrote:
> I'm trying to set up my freeradius to be an accounting proxy. No it only
> receives acct packets and saves data in log files. The configuration is
> below:
>
> radiusd.conf:
>
> accounting {
> 	detail
> 	fail
> }

  Huh?  You want it to *fail* accounting?

> I added the following to the proxy.conf, but freeradius don't sends any
> accounting packets:
>
> realm LOCAL {
> 	type		= radius
> 	authhost	= 126.20.50.230:1812
> 	accthost	= 126.20.50.230:1813
> 	secret		= fault
> }

  That is wrong.  Delete that, and change it back to the default
configuration.

> Can somebody help?

  Read raddb/sites-available/default.  Look in the "accounting" section.

  If you had left the default configuration alone, and just added a
"DEFAULT" realm, then proxying would have worked.  Butchering the
default configuration is bad.  Not reading the comments in the default
configuration is bad.

  Don't break the server.  Read the documentation.