Upgrade or migration away from VMPS - what are my options?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jun 18 09:19:50 CEST 2012

On 06/18/2012 08:10 AM, Kaya Saman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since I've been having issues with the latest Cisco OS (version 15)
> and VMPS not connecting properly what are my alternatives?

The equivalent, RADIUS-based Cisco feature is called "MAB". It more or
less does exactly the same thing as VMPS, but with a RADIUS packet instead.

You just need to configure MAB on the IOS ports (it's a bit more typing,
unfortunately) and configure FreeRADIUS for MAC auth, which is well
documented in the wiki.

A more involved alternative is 802.1x which, unlike MAC-based auth,
involves credentials, and is therefore more secure as it's harder to fool.