Upgrade or migration away from VMPS - what are my options?

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 09:52:24 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 06/18/2012 08:10 AM, Kaya Saman wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> since I've been having issues with the latest Cisco OS (version 15)
>> and VMPS not connecting properly what are my alternatives?
>

> The equivalent, RADIUS-based Cisco feature is called "MAB". It more or less
> does exactly the same thing as VMPS, but with a RADIUS packet instead.
>
> You just need to configure MAB on the IOS ports (it's a bit more typing,
> unfortunately) and configure FreeRADIUS for MAC auth, which is well
> documented in the wiki.
>
> A more involved alternative is 802.1x which, unlike MAC-based auth, involves
> credentials, and is therefore more secure as it's harder to fool.
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

Thanks for the response!

I have checked out:

http://www.booches.nl/2008/06/mac-authentication-bypass-continued/

http://wiki.freeradius.org/Mac-Auth

To get a bit of an idea of what awaits and how things fit together.....

Basically it seems that I need to be running 802.1x as MAB according
to the articles is: Mac-based authentication which needs 802.1x to
function??

Or did I misunderstand?

Regards,

Kaya