Handling of Duplicate Accounting Requests

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Jun 18 11:32:52 CEST 2012

Ramakrishna wrote:
> I have written one new module rlm_xyz which i am using to handle both
> authentication and accounting requests from NAS. When authentication fails,
> I am replying with Access-Reject message but when Accounting request fails,
> I am not sending any reply to the NAS. Since NAS doesn't get reply, it is
> resending the same accounting request to the server.

  That's how RADIUS works.

> My problem is i want
> the free radius stack to handle the duplicate requests instead of passing
> the request to my rlm_xyz module. Please lemme know if any configuration
> details are required.

  FreeRADIUS doesn't work like that.

  It is *your* responsibility to track these duplicate requests.  That's
why FreeRADIUS has modules like "SQL".  They track these duplicate requests.

  FreeRADIUS does not include a long-term database to track accounting
packets.  It will *never* have such an internal database.  That's what
SQL is for.  The SQL server does database things, FreeRADIUS does RADIUS
things.