How LDAP Authentication works

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jun 22 13:25:48 CEST 2012

Tobias Hachmer wrote:
> The Test MS AD Server has domain functional level "2008 R2" and quite
> default settings.

  Active directory is not really an LDAP server.  The reasons are
complicated.  It's almost an LDAP server, but it's different in critical
ways.

> In radiusd -X output the ldap module performs first the ldap bind with
> the identity which is configured in ldap module configuration. After
> that the ldap bind with user credentials provided in access-request packet:
> Is the first ldap bind really necessary or can I configure in ldap
> module something like "bind as user" to avoid the requirement to have a
> service user account in AD?

  The first search is necessary to determine the User-DN to use for the
second search.  You can't get rid of the read-only admin account.  If
you set the LDAP-UserDN manually, you'll get rid of the first bind.  But
the server needs the admin account for LDAP to work.