Building FreeRADIUS on HP-UX B.11.31 ia64 (gcc, 32bit)

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jun 22 13:39:05 CEST 2012

Alexander Gattin wrote:
> gcc +b src/lib/.libs was in fact started by
> ./libtool:

  Yes.  The version of libtool used by FreeRADIUS is quite old.
Unfortunately, I've tried to upgrade it multiple times without much success.

  libtool, libltdl, and configure are incestuously related in bizarre
ways.  It's annoying, frustrating, and borderline incompetent.

> P.S. I'm actually fixing bug in ltmain.sh
> v1.5.22, and I suspect that the
> hardcode_libdir_flag_spec_ld problem is already
> fixed in newer versions of ltmain.sh. 1.5.22 is
> pretty old (2005/12/18).

  Exactly.  I'm loath to upgrade libtool && libltdl.

  The code in the "master" branch (what will be 3.0) has a number of
changes to the build system.  It now can build without libtool or
libltdl.  The result is a build that is faster, simpler, and much better.