FreeRADIUS 1.1.2 -> 2.1.12 migration steps

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue Mar 6 10:43:14 CET 2012

Alan Buxey <A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk> writes:

>> At my new working place I have inherited a FR 1.1.3 running on CentOS 5.6.
>> Beyond being outdated and unsupported, this FR setup is causing a lot of problems so I plan a migration to RHEL5 and FR 2.1.12.
>> I've been searching but I cannot find a procedure describing which steps to follow in order to migrate from one server/version to another.
>>
>> Can someone please shed some light or point me in the right direction?
>

> save your configuration and read through to see the bits you have used.
> (maybe compare it to the 1.1.3 default configuration to see which bits got modified)
>
> take the provided default 2.1.12 configuration and then edit it for your needs...ADDING
> the things you need. once you have a working authenticating server then start to remove
> the modules/functions you dont need. dont try going from 0 lines of config TO a working
> server, it will never work.

All good advice.  Just wanted to add a couple of hints which I found
useful when doing the same job:

Take advantage of the more modular configuration design in 2.1.12,
adding your non-global site specific changes as new files instead of
editing existing files.  This simplifies integration of new defaults on
upgrades, and makes it really easy to roll back to a clean default if
you mess up.

And, as you are going to start from scratch here anyway, I'd also
recommend putting all changed files under revision control.  Don't you
just wish you had that for the 1.1.3 config you've inherited?  Doesn't
need to be anything fancy.  RCS will do.

Bjørn