Tracing access request chain

Morris, Andi amorris at cardiffmet.ac.uk
Thu Mar 8 17:44:42 CET 2012

I'm trying to trace an access attempt that occurred today so that I can categorically say to a user that you were successfully connected to our network, or not, whatever the case maybe.  However I'm struggling to create a chain of events by going through the logs.

I can see by grepping the logs in the radacct folder that the user sent the access-request.  The results are in both the auth-detail and the pre-proxy-detail logs.  From there I can see in my internal radius servers that the access was accepted, but I cannot find any reference to the user, or the any of the incoming conversation in the outgoing logs like post-proxy, or reply.  I was hoping I'd see a reference to the username and Access-Accept or similar.

Can someone please help me out by letting me know if there is one common string that will help me trace one request incoming and outgoing?

Cheers,
Andi

Ar Dachwedd y 1af 2011 newidiodd UWIC ei henw i Brifysgol Fetropolitan Caerdydd. O Ragfyr 6ed, fel rhan o'r newid yma, bydd pob cyfeiriad e-bost sy'n cynnwys @uwic.ac.uk yn newid i @cardiffmet.ac.uk. Bydd yr holl ebyst a ddanfonir o Brifysgol Fetropolitan Caerdydd yn cael eu danfon o'r cyfeiriad @cardiffmet.ac.uk newydd. Gwnewch yn siwr eich bod yn diweddaru eich cofnodion cyswllt a'ch cronfeydd data i adlewyrchu hyn. Gellir cael rhagor o wybodaeth ar y wefan yma.<http://www3.uwic.ac.uk/English/News/Pages/UWIC-Name-Change.aspx>