SQL_LOG Interim Update missing "partial" config error? huh?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Mar 15 23:36:13 CET 2012

On 03/15/2012 09:11 PM, Aidan Rowe wrote:
> Any possible updates on this?  It seems at some point the man pages
> changed from using INSERTs and UPDATEs to only using INSERTS.

I'm guessing here, but I suspect the problem with doing UPDATEs is that
they noop if the row isn't present. This can happen if an
Accounting-Start packet gets dropped and fails its retransmit for
example. This is not a problem if you just do INSERTs.

The "sql" module (driven either synchronously, or asynchronously via
buffered detail files / SQL) handles this differently for this exact
reason - it does an UPDATE and if no rows are changed, does an INSERT
instead.

FWIW we use sql_log and just INSERT to a log table, and a trigger on the
table then does the "UPDATE or INSERT" magic.

We never moved to using buffered SQL because we need to stream the auth
logs as well as the accounting logs (long story) and I couldn't see a
way to do that.