Freeradius crash with two radclient

fulvio fabiani fabiani.fulvio at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 17:57:03 CET 2012

Hi all,

i’ve a problem with concurrent accounting requests with free radius 2.1.11.

In details:

I’ve 2 free radius servers balanced by bigip f5 through roundrobin
algorithm. I use to send account request using radclient on a machine
placed in the same sub-netmask of f5, and it forward the request on the
another net (which is the servers).

If I launch two or more rad client that inject traffic to free radius
server (always through f5), the free radius servers kill.

Under the same conditions but free radius starts with –X (debug) mode, two,
three and more rad client all works fine.

Because I’ve read that the debug mode starts the server with single thread
 but not the normal mode, I suppose that there is something concurrency
that kills my radius servers.

Anyone had the same issue? Any ideas to resolve?

We are running freeradius on Redhat 5.6 VM on VMVare VSphere 5
infrastructure

Thanks in advice