EAP-TLS for Hotspots.

Mrinal K sinha.mrinal at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 19:38:23 CET 2012

This is not exactly a freeradius configuration related query, but
considering the deployment related exposure of all of us this seems to be
the best place.

So here it goes..

We are trying to implement a 802.1x based framework for user authentication
for public hotspots. To go about authentication with different hotspots  we
are using EAP-TLS. The user registers with us then downloads an installer
containing the certificates and x-supplicant, then installs them. All the
hotspots are configured to authenticate users with our server and the
server is a  generic freeradius configured for EAP-TLS authentication. For
now certificates are issued by the same server which runs freeradius but we
plan to have them on different server.

The system works perfectly in our test environment(2-3 hotspots with 10 or
so users) however I read somewhere that the dissemination of certificates
and managing the users in PKI becomes complicated as the number of users
increase.

So, the question which I want to ask is how has been everyone's experience
with EAP-TLS deployment and is there something which we need to plan ahead
for.

Sincerely,

Kumar Mrinal