can you internally proxy a request more than once?

Brian Julin BJulin at clarku.edu
Sat Mar 24 23:26:07 CET 2012

Phil Mayers [p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk] wrote
> I'm curious about what you mean here. I don't see the difference between
> a single server performing attribute filter & auth, versus two separate
> processes.
>
> Can you explain what threat model you think this addresses?

It limits the exposed fuzzable surface.  Any vulnerabilities present or introduced
in the low level RADIUS packet processing compromise only the external
server.  The packets that reach the internal server post-filter have been cleanly
regenerated.  The option also exists at that point to place the external
server on an entirely different host, for DoS mitigation.

You still have some unnecessary code surface exposure what with EAP being
processed on the internal server (unless you were to manage to somehow get
tunneling of unwrapped MSCHAP working and do the EAP unwrap on the
external server.)

Normally I wouldn't be quite so bug-paranoid, but RADIUS is tied pretty tightly
to the most security-sensitive and mission-critical systems we have.

(As an aside, while the virtual server functionality is very useful when it comes
to providing an integrated inner/outer tunnel solution, I've found it much more
convenient to administer discrete usage cases with individual instances.  Then
you can do work on one server without worrying that a change will somehow
have unintended consequences on other services when you reload the config.)