ssh authentication failed problem use freeradius & pam_radius

小牧 muxin at yahoo.cn
Sat May 5 12:43:42 CEST 2012

Hi everyone,

I am trying to use pam_radius to authenticate SSH login.My system is Centos 5.6 64bit.
When I try to authenticate with ssh but failed,I am sure the shared secret is correct.

Freeradius got the following logs:

rlm_sql (sql): Released sql socket id: 2
++[sql] returns ok
++[expiration] returns noop
++[logintime] returns noop
++[pap] returns updated
Found Auth-Type = PAP
+- entering group PAP {...}
[pap] login attempt with password "? INCORRECT"
[pap] Using clear text password "1111"
[pap] Passwords don't match
++[pap] returns reject
Failed to authenticate the user.
WARNING: Unprintable characters in the password.        Double-check the shared secret on the server and the NAS!
Using Post-Auth-Type Reject

And by the way,is it possible to create a ssh user on NAS after the first time successful authentication.