ssh authentication failed problem use freeradius & pam_radius

Martin Pauly pauly at hrz.uni-marburg.de
Fri May 11 17:07:39 CEST 2012

 小牧 <muxin at yahoo.cn>wrote:
>> This is an issue with PAM on the client machine.  Some other module is
> doing password checking.  When the password check fails, it re-sets the
> password to "INCORRECT".  That password is then sent to the pam_radius
> module.
> Go fix the client so that the PAM modules don't change the password.
>

> My /etc/pam.d/sshd file contains the following settings:

I had a similar problem today. PAM considered the user illegal because
the uid in question was unknown on the machine to be accessed by ssh.
Adding the user locally was required anyway, I had forgotten that on
that particular machine, there are only local accounts.

HTH (and thanx to Alan)
Martin

--
  Dr. Martin Pauly     Phone:  +49-6421-28-23527
  HRZ Univ. Marburg    Fax:    +49-6421-28-26994