Logrotate tool

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Mon May 14 16:31:53 CEST 2012

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 9:15 PM, yagizozen <yagizozen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> As you know, FR has a radius.log file under /var/log/radius  directory. I
> noticed that inside the logrorate file, radius.log is set to rotate every
> month.  Like this :
>
>  /var/log/radius/radius.log {
>         monthly
>         rotate 100
>         create
>        missingok
>         compress
>  }
>
> This is by default. I changed this to "daily" but the problem is, I need to
> restart radius everytime when the new day comes in order to write to NEW
> radius.log file. If I do not restart, it tries to point the compress version
> of the old radius.log.
>
> Why is that?

It's a bug in the distro you're using. FR's logging behavior changed
(in 2.1.9, I think), but the logrotate script was not updated (yet) to
follow that behavior.

> I also can not do this inside an external script. When I rename the file
> inside the script, it still writes to the new renamed radius.log file. Any
> suggestions or any place for me to read?

This is what debian/ubuntu uses:

$ cat freeradius.logrotate
/var/log/freeradius/*.log {
        weekly
        rotate 52
        compress
        delaycompress
        notifempty
        missingok
        postrotate
                /etc/init.d/freeradius reload > /dev/null
        endscript
}

Slightly different from the default setup or other distros (radiusd ->
freeradius), but you get the idea :)

--
Fajar