FreeRADIUS Installation on Windows Server 2008

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue May 15 21:03:40 CEST 2012

On 05/15/2012 02:36 PM, dsumalabe wrote:
> Hi, I tried installing the FreeRADIUS ver 1.1.7-r0.0.2 and MYSQL 5.5.23
> in Windows 7 and it works OK and also the Accounting and Authentication
> work OK. Now I started installing it in Windows Server 2008. When
> installing FreeRADIUS in Windows Server 2008, the installation does not
> finish. When installation is on approximately 90%, the chown.exe appears
> and stop from there. It will only continue when chown.exe cmd window is
> manually closed. Then Chmod.exe will appear and manually close it also
> to continue installation. Then the rm.exe, we did the same thing and
> installation was completed. The FreeRADIUS will start but it will not
> work properly because of this 3 items (chown.exe, chmod.exe and rm.exe).
> Please help me how to resolve the problem. Thanks and Kind Regards,

A couple of suggestions:

FreeRADIUS 1.1.7 is incredibly old and unsupported, don't use it.
Version 2.1.12 is current and has many features and bug fixes beyond 1.1.7.

FreeRADIUS is designed to build and run on UNIX style operating systems
(linux being the most common today). There are many tools to emulate
UNIX on Windows, you could probably get FreeRADIUS 2.1.12 to build,
install and run on Windows if you put enough effort into it. But
wouldn't you be better served by spending that time getting your radius
server configured and deployed? As evidenced by the numerous questions
on this list that in and of itself can be a non-trivial task. If you
want to tackle that along with coercing FreeRADIUS build and run in a an
environment it wasn't designed for then expect to experience some
frustration.

Just my 2 cents :-)

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>