FreeRadius unable to read password from LDAP query to win2008 AD

sonyisda1 esj at tpri.com
Thu May 17 20:19:44 CEST 2012

Using FreeRadius on Ubuntu 12.04
FreeRadius is communicating with Windows 2008 R2 Active Directory server.
I have MS-CHAP authentication working fine.  This is used for VPN.

I am setting up LDAP authorization and CHAP authentication.  This will be
used for router login.  The router has the radius configuration pointing to
FreeRadius box.

>From the logs, the LDAP authorization appears to bind correctly but is
unable to retrieve a clear password for the user account and thus user
cannot be authenticated with CHAP.

[ldap] No default NMAS login sequence
[ldap] looking for check items in directory...
[ldap] looking for reply items in directory...
WARNING: No "known good" password was found in LDAP.  Are you sure that the
user is configured correctly?

I believe above indicates that no data is received from LDAP query and no
password is retrieved.  I have attached relevant debug log output and config
files.

http://freeradius.1045715.n5.nabble.com/file/n5711532/freeradius_-_x.txt
freeradius_-_x.txt  output from running freeradius server in debug mode
http://freeradius.1045715.n5.nabble.com/file/n5711532/router_connection_attempt.txt
router_connection_attempt.txt  output from connection attempt for router
http://freeradius.1045715.n5.nabble.com/file/n5711532/default.txt
default.txt  /etc/freeradius/sites-available/default
http://freeradius.1045715.n5.nabble.com/file/n5711532/inner-tunnel.txt
inner-tunnel.txt  /etc/freeradius/sites-available/inner-tunnel
http://freeradius.1045715.n5.nabble.com/file/n5711532/ldap.txt ldap.txt
/etc/freeradius/modules/ldap