Service-Type Authorize-Only

ajay shekhar ajayshekhar at yahoo.com
Thu May 31 22:21:46 CEST 2012

Hi,
Does setting Service-Type AVP to Authorize-Only in a RADIUS REQUEST make FreeRADIUS do only the authorization part?
I am using FreeRADIUS Version 2.1.12.

I do not know much about of how freeRADIUS works, but I am looking to get either of these scenarios working -

Case 1:
authenticate a user (using EAP-SIM) with FreeRADIUS and then,
initiate authorization (separately using Service-Type AVP set to Authorize-Only) for the same user with FreeRADIUS

Case 2:
Configure FreeRadius to Authenticate & Authorize the user in one go; in which case the output of radiusd -X clearly indicates that both Auth & Autz are done.
If case 2 happens, how do I distinguish it from an Authentication-Only scenario?

Forgive my ignorance, please advise.

- AJ