Debian build the freeradius package with unixodbc support

Dominick Rivard drivard at datavalet.com
Tue Nov 13 22:22:24 CET 2012

Hi,

Here is what I am trying to achieve, we want to install freeradius using a
Microsoft SQL backend. I read on the internet that we need to achieve this
goal using the unixodbc driver.

I am able to set up the unixodbc driver from apt-get and if I configure
Freetds to use it. After the installation and configs I can run the test
command:

    isql -v DVSQLServer USERNAME PASSWORD
    | Connected!
    |
    | sql-statement
    | help [tablename]
    | quit

This is actually working. But I found out downloading the freeradius tarbal
that it can't use the rlm_sql_unixodbc driver, because in the debian/rules
file they compile it using the flag:

    --without-rlm_sql_unixodbc

I thought it would be easy to remove the flag from debian/rules and just
build my own package using the command line:

    fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc

But it is failing with error:

    checking for SQLConnect in -lodbc... no
    checking for sql.h... yes
    configure: error: set --without-rlm_sql_unixodbc to disable it
explicitly.
    configure: error: ./configure failed for ./drivers/rlm_sql_unixodbc
    configure: error: ./configure failed for src/modules/rlm_sql
    make: *** [config.status] Error 1
    dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2

Do you have any idea of what I am missing to compile it successfully?

I can also tell you that I ran these apt-get command to make sure I was
having all the dependencies.

    apt-get build-dep -y unixodbc freetds-bin freetds-common freetds-dev
tdsodbc freeradius
    apt-get install -y unixodbc freetds-bin freetds-common freetds-dev
tdsodbc libssl-dev dpkg-dev

Regards
Dominick

Dominick Rivard,
Solutions Architect

5275 Queen Mary
Montréal, Qc
H3W 1Y3
Tel: 514-385-4448 ext 126
Fax: 514-385-6660

Notice: This message is confidential and privileged. If you are not the
addressee, please inform the sender by return e-mail immediately and delete
this message and destroy all copies.

Avis : Ce message est confidentiel et protégé par le secret professionnel.
Si vous n’êtes pas le destinataire, veuillez informer l’expéditeur par
courrier électronique immédiatement et effacer ce message et en détruire
toute copie.