Debian build the freeradius package with unixodbc support

Dominick Rivard drivard at datavalet.com
Fri Nov 23 16:55:35 CET 2012

[mailto:freeradius-users-bounces+drivard=datavalet.com at lists.freeradius.org]
On Behalf Of Fajar A. Nugraha

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 3:33 AM, Dominick Rivard <drivard at datavalet.com>
wrote:
>  I also want to let you know that it has been replaced by
> libiodbc2-dev but

> No, it hasn't.

> http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/unixodbc-dev
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/raring/unixodbc-dev

> iodbc is another different package.

They might be two different packages but they conflict in apt:
Apt-get upgrade  message --> The following packages will be REMOVED:
unixodbc-dev The following NEW packages will be installed: libiodbc2-dev

> then you have to
> create a symlink: ln -s /usr/lib/libodbc.so.1 /usr/lib/libodbc.so
> because it isn't created when installing the package.
>

> unixodbc-dev has libodbc.so:
> http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/amd64/unixodbc-dev/filelist

> Now I have a freeradius and MSSQL backend working and being tested for
> a future production move.

> I'm just wondering, why didn't you just use iodbc? That seems to be the
default in debian, and should work for mssql.

Probably the lack of documentation on how to get freeradius to work with
iodbc or even unixodbc is part of it and because I found a post that was
explaining a lot on how to get freeradius and mssql working together.
http://it.reinhardt.edu/dave/radius-mssql-howto.html

But I give it a try this morning installing freeradius-iodbc. I configured
my /etc/odbc.ini, /etc/freetds/freetds.conf and /etc/odbcinst.ini.
These files configuration can be found here:
http://serverfault.com/questions/448365/debian-build-the-freeradius-package-
with-unixodbc-support/451350#451350

	rlm_sql (sql): Driver rlm_sql_iodbc (module rlm_sql_iodbc) loaded
and linked
	rlm_sql (sql): Attempting to connect to db_user at MSSQLServer:/radius
	rlm_sql (sql): starting 0
	rlm_sql (sql): Attempting to connect rlm_sql_iodbc #0
	sql_create_socket: SQLConnectfailed:  [iODBC][Driver Manager]Data
source name not found and no default driver specified. Driver could not be
loaded
	rlm_sql (sql): Failed to connect DB handle #0

I tried to add these environment variables, since trying to find the fix for
that error seems to go through these variables, but still no luck at getting
freeradius with mssql using iodbc.

	export ODBCINSTINI='/etc/odbcinst.ini'
	export ODBCINI='/etc/odbc.ini'

Regards.