Sending authentication-requests to multiple radius-servers

Stefan Kuegler freeradius at kuegler.org
Wed Nov 28 15:02:37 CET 2012

Hello.

I have a short question:
Is it possible to send an authentication-request from a client to
multiple servers simultaneously ?

                                         +----------+
                                  /----->| radius A |
  +--------+    +--------------+ /       +----------+
  | client |--->| radius proxy |X
  +--------+    +--------------+ \       +----------+
                                  \----->| radius B |

We now authenticate with HMAC-based One Time Password Token (aka
event-based token) from a Cisco ASA via radius to only one
freeradius-server. But we want to establish a second authentication
server for failover reasons.

When using event based tokens, it's absolute necessary that every server
receives the same authentication request simultaneously from the client
to trigger the next "event" on the server side.

Best Regards,
Stefan Kuegler