migration from ACS 4.2 NAR

Brian Julin BJulin at clarku.edu
Tue Oct 16 22:56:36 CEST 2012

> Menard, Yannick writes:

> Example: I am able to permit only certain user based on their active directory
> group to connect to my certain wireless SSID.

> Also I use ACS to configure Downloadable IP ACLs for the VPN access

> Does freeradius have similar option?

Yes and yes, but it will be more programmatic than you are used to with ACS.
Meaning, FreeRADIUS can do just about anything that's actually possible,
but if you utilize this flexibility deeply, the result will end up looking like
a script, rather than a config file.

Which is really a result of business logic being more naturally expressed
as procedural code than as a collection of settings.

Whether it's a good fit for your organization depends on the people who
will have to administer it.

There are many modules that make common tasks use config files
and even store some business logic on the database side.  Whether
these modules will fit all your particular needs depends on how
peculiar your needs are.