Optimal setup to handle large tps

Marius Booysen marius.booysen at eircom.net
Fri Oct 26 11:51:48 CEST 2012

Hi All,

I was hoping for some advice from some of you:

I have a requirement to deploy Freeradius to handle about 2M
customers and of course I need to set up my environment
optimally. I am aiming for about 1500 auths or accounting
requests per second.

1.) Can Freeradius achieve that? Reading the performance
blurb suggests it can?

2.) In order to achieve that, I guess it would be best to
split auth and accounting to different servers? Agree?

3.) What is the optimal way to use the users file? As a
gdbm/dbm data file or plain text file or something else?

4.) Any other advice would be appreciated!

Thanks a lot!
Kosie