Ignoring too-frequent accounting packets from buggy NAS

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Oct 26 14:53:04 CEST 2012

All,

We are having a problem with our Cisco lightweight wireless since a
recent firmware upgrade. I am delving into it, and will probably open a
TAC case, but in the meantime I need a solution.

The specific issue is that the NAS is sending interim accounting very,
very frequently, in violation of the spec, its own config, and the
Acct-Interim-Interval.

My suspicion is that the device is sending an accounting update whenever
some internal "update" occurs (e.g. migrate to a new AP) and that this
is an unintended side effect of some internal changes.

This is killing our SQL database :o(

Until I can get this fixed, can anyone think of an easy way to throw
away interim accounting requests for a given "key" and time window? I'm
wondering if rlm_cache can be made to do it?

Cheers,
Phil