freeradius, memory consumption

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Sep 4 14:34:22 CEST 2012

On 09/04/2012 03:43 AM, Alan DeKok wrote:
>    Once 2.2.0 is released, I think we should move to a fixed release
> cycle, every 3 months.  I'll also try to finish off some final work for
> 3.0, too.

Just so you know, a 3 month release cycle means most enterprise
distributions will be significantly behind the FreeRADIUS's current
version. This is even twice as fast as the distribution with the
shortest release cycle, Fedora which is 6 months.

Thus when the advice offered from the list is "upgrade to the current
release" there will be a significant number of users who will find this
difficult or impossible advice to heed due to a variety of structural
issues, internal policy concerns or the technical ability to deploy from
from source. Even if those technical skills exist there are many
organizations which prohibit deploying locally built software,
especially mission critical system services such as authentication.

I understand the appeal of "release early, release often" and in some
contexts that is optimal but I don't believe that applies to critical
infrastructure system daemons, they by their very nature are in a
different class, one that benefits from longer release cycles with a
greater focus on stability.

John

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>