module loaded while running Radius

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Mon Sep 17 07:38:33 CEST 2012

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 12:29 PM, QASIM RAO <qasim2490 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
> i have a probelm related to performance of free radius.

... which is?

> so i want to know
> how many module are loading when i run radiusd -X command. like auth module
> and accounting module... please help me in this.

It doesn't matter.

FR will load all module configuration file in raddb/modules (which is
most, if not all, module). However:
(1) it' will only be initialized if something actually uses it (e.g.
if you comment out "unix" in all virtual server, then it will not be
used, thus will not be initialized), and
(2) the number of modules loaded doesn't contribute much to performance

If you want to know anyway, just look at debug log when the server is
starting. Among others, tt tells you which config files are being
read, and which modules are being initialized.

What USUALLY happens is that you use some kind of backend (e.g. db,
ldap, whatever), and this backend responds too slow, causing all FR
threads to be busy handling incoming request. When this happens, the
log (e.g. /var/log/radius/radiusd.log) would tell you about it.

Also note that some problems might only become apparent in "normal"
mode and not in debug mode, since in debug mode FR only runs single
thread.

So, what is your problem, and what does the logs show?

--
Fajar