Proxy and requests queue

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Sep 17 10:44:49 CEST 2012

AemNet wrote:
>  I've a question about the management of the queue in freeradius 2.1.12.

  Upgrade.

> Let's assume my server are used for local authentication for the realm
> mydomanin.org and proxy the request for the realm remote.org (a pool
> with a single home server). Let's assume also that max_servers and
> max_spare_server are sets correctly.

  Those thread settings have NOTHING to do with proxying.  You can proxy
requests even in single-threaded mode.

> What happens if the home server for the proxy takes too long to respond?

  The server handles it gracefully.

> The requests for the local side are ignored or have their own queue?

  The inputs && outputs are completely decoupled.  It would be a bad
design to tightly couple them.

> And
> if my proxy are used for different realm (remote1.org, remote2.org
> etc...) all with their own single home_server what happens if a remote
> home server takes too long to respond?

  The server handles it gracefully.

  Each request is handled separately from each other request, no matter
where it came from, and no matter where it was proxied to.  Each home
server is handled separately from each other home server.

> To make a long story short it's possible that a problem on a remote home
> server (that receives a huge number of requests) blocks the requests for
> my local server?

  No.

> I know this can be a stupid question but I didn't find an answer in the
> wiki or in the docs (probably I've searched in the wrong place or the
> wrong terms sorry)

  The short answer is that the server works, and doesn't do anything stupid.