Freeradius 3.0.0 "Installation mode requires -rpath" during "sudo make install"

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Sep 21 17:38:10 CEST 2012

On 21/09/12 15:27, YJ Zhang wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 03:10:51AM +0100, YJ Zhang wrote:
>>> It seems libtool/autoconf/automake related, but I don't know enough to
>>> make heads-or-tails out of how to get around this. Any advice? Thanks
>>> in advance.
>>
>> I've just ran './configure && make && make R=/tmp/fr install" on my
>> debian squeeze box here on the current master git branch and it all
>> worked as expected.
>>
>> What OS are you using?
>>
>> Ben
>
> Ah, wasn't aware of that trick. I'm compiling on Mac OS X 10.7.5 with
> GNU autoconf 2.69 and automake 1.12.3 installed. Is "make R=" equivalent
> to setting "./configure --prefix="?

No, completely different. R= is used to fake the destination. It's used
for making tarballs/RPMs/.debs e.g.

mkdir /tmp/binary-fr
make install R=/tmp/binary-fr

...with then contain:

/tmp/binary-fr/$prefix/sbin/radiusd
/tmp/binary-fr/$prefix/etc/raddb/radiusd.conf

...but all the paths e.g. inside the config files and shared library
rpaths will read:

$prefix/sbin/radiusd

...i.e. will ignore the R= prefix