"retry_count" and "retry_delay" configuration in "proxy.conf"

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sat Sep 22 14:07:32 CEST 2012

Arka Sharma wrote:
>       I am using freeradius-2.1.11 and I have a requirement like I am a
> proxy free radius server which communicate to a remote PPS with PPAC and
> PPAQ. Now my question is that how can I identify that it responded back
> successfully or not.I mean I have a condition like if it doesn't respond
> back then I have to perform some task in the code.

  Read raddb/sites-available/default.  Look for post-proxy-type Fail.

> Now I have written the
> comments for "zombie_period","response_
> window" etc in "proxy.conf" file.My observation for radius debug log is
> that it sends 3 proxy request within 5 min interval before marking the
> remote server as dead.

  No.  It *proxies* packets.  FreeRADIUS doesn't originate packets.
Only the client does.

> Actually I have configured an unreachable ip in
> proxy.conf.Now I was doing hit and trial by changing the parameter
> values but no such changes I found in radius debug log.I have old style
> realm configuration in proxy.conf that is "accthost = <ip> authhost =
> <ip>" in realm element.I tried with different values of retry_count and
> retry_delay both in "proxy server " element and "realm" element.

  Those configuration options don't do anything.

> And my
> observation is apart from the value 1 in "retry_count" all other
> configuration works same way sends 3 proxy request in 5 min interval
> then mark the proxy server as dead.Any help will be highly appreciated.

  Because the server is just proxying packets from the client.

  Read the debug log.  The server receives a packet from the client, and
then proxies it.  It never "wakes up" and originates a packet.