auto-config of 802.1x supplicant windows 8 fail (wpa2-ent/peap)

mike.albano at unlv.edu mike.albano at unlv.edu
Mon Apr 1 22:00:24 CEST 2013

Trying post again (hopefully html email turned off this time). If someone knows how to delete a previous/duplicate post let me know.:
I've been running FR for a while w/ out issue. Windows 8, however fails, when using auto-config (selecting the network and letting Windows figure out supplicant settings). I believe it's failing b/c of: "[mschap] FAILED: MS-CHAP2-Response is incorrect"
This only happens on Windows 8 "auto-configuration" of it's 802.1x supplicant. In other words, if I manually add the network, selecting only "wpa2-enterprise", it works. It also works on OSX, Linux, Android and every other version of Windows, using 'autoconfiguration'...ie I do not need to manually configure the supplicant.
I've debugged my wireless lan controller, but nothing interesting (I can attach if requested). It shows the EAP messages back/forth endinig up with processing the Access-Reject packet.
Like many environments, I'm doing PEAP, with an OpenLDAP directory, though for this test the user is local. (test user is 'steve')
I've got VM's of fresh-installed Win8 & Win7, passing same USB wireless NIC & same driver version. As previously mentioned, Win7 works with no manual supplicant configuration. I've included the -X at the bottom of the win7 auth. I do not believe this to be a FR issue, but I am wondering if anyone else has seen this. We are a large campus with ~30K auth's/day, though I'm concerned that Win8 is new enough that we havn't had any complaints yet.

dpkg -l | grep freerad
ii  freeradius                            2.1.12+dfsg-1.1                           amd64        high-performance and highly configurable RADIUS server
ii  freeradius-common                     2.1.12+dfsg-1.1                           all          FreeRADIUS common files
ii  freeradius-ldap                       2.1.12+dfsg-1.1                           amd64        LDAP module for FreeRADIUS server
ii  freeradius-utils                      2.1.12+dfsg-1.1                           amd64        FreeRADIUS client utilities
ii  libfreeradius2                        2.1.12+dfsg-1.1                           amd64        FreeRADIUS shared library

Debugs at pastebin (too large):
http://pastebin.com/gXhwSzZb