don't wait rlm_sql response

Mitsuhiro Nakamura nakamura at 1pacific.ddo.jp
Tue Apr 2 09:44:23 CEST 2013

Yes we use sql only for accounting. We will try decoupled accounting then.

There are some complex problems on our DB, the team and DBA are working
on it too.Thank you for the advice.

Thank you all for your help :)

Nakamura

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Mitsuhiro Nakamura <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Alan,
>
> Thank you.
> Our database has some problem and the response is slow.
> Since the problem itself seems to take long time to fix it, we wanted to
> avoid it.
>

> Are you using sql ONLY for accounting?
>
> If yes, then Olivier's suggestion on using decoupled accounting might
help. In fact, on some scenarios where the db is actually fast but has a
somewhat high latency (e.g. mysql cluster), I'd highly recommend that.

> However, since you say the db response is slow, you'd only be putting
band-aid on the wound. The detail file reader may very likely end up
hours or days behind the actual accounting packet.

> If there is no way to do, then we will try to find the otherway.
>

> Fix the db. It's the right thing to do.
>
> The usual causes are:
> - too much data (e.g. tens of millions of rows from years of
accounting data in a single table)
> - inefficient indices (too many index which slows down writes, or no
index used which slows down reads)
> - not enough disk IOPS available (e.g. using 2 x HDD in mirror mode
for a db with hundreds of writes requirement per second)