Have anyone test the performance about FreeRADIUS+jRadius on authentication?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Apr 24 15:56:40 CEST 2013

Okis Chuang wrote:
> Yes, I'm under this slow performance trouble now....
> Actually I tried let it not going into jradius and completing my easy job
> only in FreeRADIUS yesterday. And it did it well.
> It can finish 10000 auth request in 13 sec.

  Exactly.

> However, our goal is more than that ... the brief situation is that user
> will be redirected to our captive portal during pre-auth if they got IP
> address, then doing UAM authentication by web portal to our policy manager
> server(built in FreeRADIUS+JRadius).

  If your requirement is more than 30 authentications per second, then
you can't do a java policy manager.

  Java is nice for some things.  It's *not* the right choice for fast
network traffic.

> We'll do some policy based control with our WiFi gateway like CoA request.
> Then would do subscribers' accounting processing(identify some attributes in
> accounting packet then modify its value then send to backend acct server).

  The server can originate CoA packets.  See Fajar's message.

> So supposed I stop using jradius, what kinds of module would you recommend
> me to fulfill these jobs such as that?

  It depends on what you want to do.

> Or actually FreeRADIUS can satisfy it by itself? Can it send CoA request to
> WiFi gateway after receiving some predefined attribute value with web portal
> while it sending access request to FreeRADIUS? I plan to make it become a
> policy manager.

  FreeRADIUS *is* a policy manager.  That's what it does.