Digest using an external database for the Password

Mike Brennan mbrennan at thrupoint.com
Tue Apr 30 11:40:32 CEST 2013

Hi

I now a have solution where an SBC is acting as a Radius Client that is
connecting to FreeRadius (2.1.12) to do SIP Digest authentication. The
password is stored in an external database (this is not the default schema
but my own). I have extracted the password (clear text) using an sql
query.

>From the previous e-mail I put the sql query in the inner-tunnel (this was
confirmed by Alan), however, I think this maybe incorrect - I believe it
should go in the default file (AM I CORRECT?)

Now I have done two tests - one test passes the other fails.

The test that passes - see the following two files:
draft_sterman_aaa_sip_03_freeradius_debug for the radiusd -X output and
radiusclient_draft_sterman_aaa_sip_03 for the Radiusclient output. As can
be seen this passes and my endpoint is authenticated.

The other test fails - see the following two files:
rfc4590_freeradius_debug and the radiusclient_rfc4590. The authentication
fails, I suspect that the attributes passed seems to cause FreeRadius to
reject the authentication. Not sure whether it is the client causing the
trouble with erroneous setting of the attributes or whether Freeradius is
interpreting them incorrectly

It would be good to get to the bottom of the problem with using RFC 4590 -
I hope the debug files help. In the debug some fields are set as removed -
this is what I replaced sensitive information with.

Thx
Mike