sqlippool querries

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Dec 2 22:35:38 CET 2013

Bill Schoolfield wrote:
> (1) My mysql based ippool is out of sync with the ips actually in use.
> This is leading to ip conflicts and immediate drops after successful login.

  Blame the NAS.  FreeRADIUS just assigns IPs, stores that assignment in
the DB., and tells the NAS the user has that IP.  If there's an expiry,
it sends a Session-Timeout and asks the NAS to enforce it.

  i.e. the *only* way for things to get out of sync is if the NAS isn't
hanging up on user sessions.

> (2) take a look at the sql errors. It apparently doesn't like
> "expiry_time IS NULL" in the update.

  Use a recent version of the server.  The queries you post below were
fixed in December 2010.

> For (1) how can I get the ippool in sync? Is the only way to reset the
> radippool table and drop all the connections from the NAS?

  Fix the NAS.  Or, ensure that FreeRADIUS is sending Session-Timeouts,
and that the NAS is enforcing them.

> For (2) is this an error a by product of the immediate disconnect? Is
> the mysql version of sqlippool known to work.

  It works if you use the correct queries.

> Also for number (2) one problem I see is the schema doesn't account for
> callingstationid  that are this large. I assume I''ll need to change the
> schema for this.

  That's simple enough to do.