PAM authentication not working

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.nl
Fri Feb 8 22:30:02 CET 2013

Quoting Deepti kulkarni <deepti.kdeeps at gmail.com>:

> Try by adding
> jwinius       Auth-Type = pam
>                 Cleartext-Password := xxx

Thanks for your reply, but that makes virtually no difference. The
result is the same and freeradius' debug output only changes slightly:

[files] users: Matched entry jwinius at line 211
++[files] returns ok
++[expiration] returns noop
++[logintime] returns noop
++[pap] returns noop
Found Auth-Type = EAP
# Executing group from file /etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/inner-tunnel
+- entering group authenticate {...}
[eap] Request found, released from the list
[eap] EAP/md5
[eap] processing type md5
rlm_eap_md5: Cleartext-Password is required for EAP-MD5 authentication
[eap] Handler failed in EAP/md5
[eap] Failed in EAP select
++[eap] returns invalid
Failed to authenticate the user.
} # server inner-tunnel
[ttls] Got tunneled reply code 3
         Cleartext-Password := "xxx"
         EAP-Message = 0x04010004
         Message-Authenticator = 0x00000000000000000000000000000000
[ttls] Got tunneled Access-Reject
[eap] Handler failed in EAP/ttls
rlm_eap_ttls: Freeing handler for user jwinius
[eap] Failed in EAP select
++[eap] returns invalid
Failed to authenticate the user.
Using Post-Auth-Type Reject

I should also mention that I've so far seen no activity in
/var/log/auth.log, which I would expect if freeradius was actually
making use of PAM, so I think a more basic issue is involved.

Thanks anyway,

Jaap