Session-Timeout anomalies

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sat Feb 9 04:32:06 CET 2013

Bill Isaacs wrote:
> Here is the telling part of the freeradius -X output that I ran earlier
> this morning and printed out to use as a reference in my inquiries:
>
> [accessperiod]     expand: %{sql:SELECT
> IF(COUNT(radacctid>=1),(UNIX_TIMESTAMP() -
> IFNULL(UNIX_TIMESTAMP(AcctStartTime),0)),0) FROM radacct WHERE UserName
> = 'cgitest' AND AcctSessionTime >= 1 ORDER BY AcctStartTime LIMIT 1} ->
> 231238
> rlm_sqlcounter: Check item is greater than query result
> rlm_sqlcounter: Authorized user cgitest, check_item=2592000, counter=231238
> rlm_sqlcounter: Sent Reply-Item for user cgitest, Type=*Session-Timeout,
> value=2360762*
> ++[accessperiod] returns ok
>
> So, there's something fishy with the rlm_sqlcounter module.

  All of this nonsense could have been prevented if you had posted this
in your first message.  The debug output is clear:

1) it runs a query:

  SELECT IF(COUNT(radacctid>=1),(UNIX_TIMESTAMP() -
IFNULL(UNIX_TIMESTAMP(AcctStartTime),0)),0) FROM radacct WHERE UserName
= 'cgitest' AND AcctSessionTime >= 1 ORDER BY AcctStartTime LIMIT 1

2) the query returns 231238

  You can verify this by running the query manually.  That's why it's
printed out in debugging mode.

3) 2592000 - 231238 = 2360762

  This is maybe grade 5 math.

4)  sqlcounter returns 2370762.

  FreeRADIUS is working correctly.

5) Instead of following instructions, you wasted everyones time by
ignoring the documentation, and then arguing about it

6) you still blame FreeRADIUS, *despite* the pretty clear debug output
above.  It doesn't take a RADIUS expert to figure it out.

7) Despite your poor attitude, I'm *still* trying to help you

8) If you respond by blaming me or putting me down, you will be
unsubscribed and banned from this list.

  If you keep your messages technical, there's no problem.  If you read
the documentation, there's no problem.  If you follow instructions,
there's no problem.

  The entire problem is you refusing to follow instructions, and then
arguing about it.  You have this weird idea that I'm being rude for
telling you to FOLLOW THE DOCUMENTATION.

  The only problem here is you.  Fix your attitude, or you will be
unsubscribed and banned.  There are hundreds of people a month who post
questions and get answers without any problem.  Choose to be one of them.