Dualstack NAS ignored by RADIUS server when using IPv4

Ondrej Famera famera at fi.muni.cz
Mon Feb 11 09:31:23 CET 2013

Hello all,

I'm running freeRADIUS 2.2.0 server on dualstack machine.
Some of the NAS devices that are using this server are dualstack,
but they are not able to use IPv6 for communicating with RADIUS
server so they use only the IPv4. Problem is that these NAS devices
are rejected by RADIUS server with following error:
Error: Ignoring request to authentication address 10.0.0.1 port 1812 from unknown client 10.0.0.2 port 1812

DNS:

freeRADIUS server:
radius.example.com
- IPv4: 10.0.0.1
- IPv6: 2001:a:b:c::1

NAS device:
dev1.example.com
- IPv4: 10.0.0.2
- IPv6: 2001:a:b:c::2

RADIUS nas table:
 id |         nasname   | shortname | type  | ports  |    secret     | community | description |    server
----+-------------------+-----------+-------+--------+---------------+-----------+-------------+--------------
  1 | dev1.example.com  |   dev1    | other | <NULL> | shared_secret | <NULL>    | <NULL>      | inner-tunnel

By adding folloving to nas table it works:
 id |         nasname   | shortname | type  | ports  |    secret     | community | description |    server
  2 | 10.0.0.2          |   dev1    | other | <NULL> | shared_secret | <NULL>    | <NULL>      | inner-tunnel

( it works as workaround but i think that it should work as well with hostname only )

Having IPv4-only or IPv6-only NAS doesn't trigger this problematic behaviour,
as well as having dualstack NAS taht can communicate with RADIUS over IPv6.

looks like bug to me, anyone experienced similiar problems?

--
Ondrej Famera
unix at fi