User disconnects but stays online in radius

Mobin Yazarlou yazarlou.m at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 12:23:43 CET 2013

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Russell Mike <radius.sir at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, February 18, 2013, Mobin Yazarlou wrote:

>>> RADIUS uses UDP, and NASes don't "save" accounting packets which don't
>>> get a reply; they usually send 1-5 attempts over a few seconds, then give
>>> up (or move to the 2nd RADIUS server).
>>>
>>> You need to take this into account.
>>>
>>> Possible solutions include some combination of:
>>>
>>>  1. Use interim accounting. Then, use a script to expire any sessions
>>> which have not seen accounting packets in X*interim-interval; X==3 for
>>> example
>>>
>>>  2. Setup a 2nd RADIUS accounting server and ensure your NAS has both
>>> servers configured. Use one of several configs to write the accounting data
>>> to a robust, replicated database. One way to do this is with the "robust"
>>> accounting that comes with FreeRADIUS.
>>>
>>>  3. Use a script to check your NASes active sessions and compare to
>>> accounting data at a certain interval.
>>>
>>> ...and so on.
>>> -
>>> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/**
>>> list/users.html <http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html>
>>>

>> Hi,
>>  That you for the quick reply Phil. The solutions you have provided
>> brought new thing into my mind.
>>  I was thinking about similar scenarios that I found out if NAS crashes,
>> same thing will happen. Clients will get disconnected due to NAS
>> unavailability and when NAS is unavailable, radius won't be notified about
>> users getting disconnected.
>>  By taking this into consideration, the most effective solution would be
>> the first or the third approach you have listed. And between this two
>> solutions, the last one seems to be easier to implement.
>>
>>  Please correct me if I am wrong.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Moby
>>

> Hi Phil & Moby,
>
> I am also interested in this solution since experiencing the same problem.
>  I liked the solution no1.
>
> But I have no idea where I can get that script but I can modify if I have
> one.
>
> Thanks / RM--
>

> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

Hi Mike,
 Now it is an hour that I am looking for a built-in solution or a
ready-to-use script. The only thing I found was
Idle-Timeout<http://freeradius.org/rfc/rfc2865.html#Idle-Timeout>
attribute.
This problem could be solved if RADIUS was responsible for handling this
attribute but from what I read, it's the NAS's responsibility.

 I hope someone helps us to find the easiest and most effective solution.

Thank you,
Moby