User disconnects but stays online in radius

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Feb 19 14:01:55 CET 2013

On 19/02/13 11:23, Mobin Yazarlou wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>   Now it is an hour that I am looking for a built-in solution or a
> ready-to-use script. The only thing I found was Idle-Timeout
> <http://freeradius.org/rfc/rfc2865.html#Idle-Timeout> attribute. This
> problem could be solved if RADIUS was responsible for handling this
> attribute but from what I read, it's the NAS's responsibility.

I think you're confused.

Idle-Timeout serves a specific purpose; it tells the NAS to disconnect
the client if the client is idle for a certain amount of time.

It's nothing to do with stale/dead accounting sessions.

I've already spelt out the options there, and they revolve entirely
around trying to make your accounting robust, and dealing with the edge
cases where it is not.

To repeat:

1. Have two RADIUS servers, and have each NAS talk to both
2. Setup robust accounting->SQL on both RADIUS servers - see the example
configs that come with the server for this
3. Use interim accounting
4. Use a script to expire sessions without an update in X*interim-interval

That should get you pretty much all the way there.