No authenticate method (Auth-Type) found for the request

Beeblebrox zaphod at berentweb.com
Thu Jan 17 20:02:57 CET 2013

Hi Alan and thank you so much for answering

Keeping in mind that the system in question is an OpenWRT (hence
minimal install):
> The directory "raddb/certs" has a README
The directory is /etc/freeradius2/certs (?) and has no README, also no
man pages so as to save on space.
Anyway , I read the file from
http://openisp.net/openisp/unxsVZ/browser/trunk/unxsRadius/setupradius/raddb/certs/README?rev=1
But this is not possible since a router environment is not suitable
for git + building things. But more importantly:

> The incoming request doesn't use certificate authentication
So that means the certificate business is not of immediate relevance
to my problem? Good to hear!

> 1) what client did you use to send the Access-Request?
ssh into box and:
echo "User-Name = steve, User-Password = testing" | radcli
ent -x 192.168.1.2 auth mysecret

> 3) Why did you send the Access-Request?
To debug freeradius config since wifi connection attempt fails with
very little info. Also, to isolate any wrong settings on the network
config side of the router's admin webpage.

> The whole point of running in debugging mode is to READ IT
I read the output several times before posting - nothing out of the
ordinary and all modules are loaded smoothly. Also, no debug info in
/var/log/radius.log - not even when I increase log-level in
/etc/freeradius2/radiusd.conf.

config file snippets:
users:
       steve   Cleartext-Password := "testing"
#       Service-Type = Framed-User,
#       Framed-Protocol = PPP,
#       Framed-IP-Address = 172.16.3.33,
#       Framed-IP-Netmask = 255.255.255.0,
#       Framed-Routing = Broadcast-Listen,
#       Framed-Filter-Id = "std.ppp",
#       Framed-MTU = 1500,
#       Framed-Compression = Van-Jacobsen-TCP-IP

clients.conf:
client localhost {
        #  Allowed values are:
        #       dotted quad (1.2.3.4)
        #       hostname    (radius.example.com)
        ipaddr = 192.168.1.2
        secret = somesecret

LASTLY:
ı'm used to posting through nabble so I can ensure thread continuance.
Since I'm new to this method, apologies if posting through direct
e-mail does not post as foloow-up for initial topic.