upgrading freeradius

Matthew Newton mcn4 at leicester.ac.uk
Sun Jan 27 22:42:43 CET 2013

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 08:51:28PM +0000, A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:
> > I have a working server running on version 2.1.10

> if you got your 2.1.10 from distribution...then you have to wait
> for your distro to catch up

Actually, with Debian and Ubuntu, building new local packages of
the latest version is trivially easy, and the way I would
recommend upgrading.

http://wiki.freeradius.org/building/Build#Building-Debian-packages

But of course if you roll your own packages you've got to watch
for security issues when they crop up, and rebuild yourself. With
distro supported packages they tend to patch up the security
issues, though you might be left with older non-security related
bugs unpatched.

Like Alan wrote: if it says 2.1.10, you have no easy way of
guaranteeing all latest security patches have been applied.

Popping up on this list and saying you're using an old version is
also likely to get you a lot of 'go away and upgrade' responses,
rather than answers to your question...

Matthew

--
Matthew Newton, Ph.D. <mcn4 at le.ac.uk>

Systems Architect (UNIX and Networks), Network Services,
I.T. Services, University of Leicester, Leicester LE1 7RH, United Kingdom