upgrading freeradius

Mathieu Simon mathieu.sim at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 10:12:21 CET 2013

Am 27.01.2013 21:52, schrieb A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk:
> Hi,
>
>> 2.1.10 is the version delivered by your distribution - and contains
>> backported security bugfixes released until 2.2.0. In terms of security,
>> your version is fine.
> why? why do that? why not simple release 2.2.0 - you are CONFUSING your users
> and CONFUSING those people who support them.
>
> if it says 2.1.10 then one can only ASSUME that its 2.1.10
Yes, somewhat true, but that's how a couple of distribution consider
'stable' releases:
Stick with a version of a software and backport (bug and) security
updates to this version.
(and only update the version of a package at new distro release)

Enterprise distributions or commercial unix often do much heavier
backporting than
what Debian/Ubuntu do, just to deliver the very same version during the
period of time
the package is bundled with a release of their distro/software.

You have to outweight the advantages vs. disadvantages like breaking
support from
your distributor, in this case Canonical. But I agree that asking on
this list is likely yield
the answer "upgrade first" in case of problems.

A Ubuntu PPA can be a very good thing - but you have to trust a third party.
That said, I really like PPAs when the packagers do good work and care
about
updating the packages - thanks Fajar for maintaining this repository!

-- Mathieu