Configuring accounting on Freeradius server

Deepti kulkarni deepti.kdeeps at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 23:07:23 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com>wrote:

> Deepti kulkarni wrote:
> > I am running Freeradius Server version 2.1.10 on a debian machine (64
> > bit). I have a debian client (using pam_radius_auth) for authentication
> > and accounting. My client can authenticate into the the radius server,
> > however, I dont see any accounting being done.
>
>   Read the FAQ.  This is answered there.
>
> > Is there any configuration required for the pam_radius_auth.so?
>
>   Like what?  The PAM module has documentation.  Do you have a specific
> question?
>
> > Also on the freeradius server, I uncommented a line from acct_users -
>
> > #  Replace the User-Name with the Stripped-User-Name, if it exists.
> > #
> > DEFAULT
> >         User-Name := "%{Stripped-User-Name:-%{User-Name}}"
>
>   No, that doesn't do what you want.
>
>   Delete that.  It's not necessary.  The server already does the right
> thing.
>
>   Alan DeKok.
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

The FAQ I looked at doesnt mention how-to configure accounting. Maybe I am
looking at wrong place? http://wiki.freeradius.org/Home
Also, for the PAM, do I need to enable accounting on the client as well? Is
the client responsible for sending accounting packets to the freeradius
server?
Please let me know the FAQ link you are referring.