[ANN] Version 3.0.0-rc0

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Jul 17 19:32:01 CEST 2013

John Dennis wrote:
> Sure it's no problem for the spec file to ignore them but I'm wondering
> if they are valuable for testing won't others find them useful too? If
> so shouldn't we keep them and add a man page?

  Maybe.  radattr is really a test tool for RFC6929 attributes.  And now
for parsing %{...} expansions, and conditions in unlang.  It should have
no end-user utility.

  dhcpclient is a *very* bad DHCP client.  It's meant for testing the
DHCP functionality of the server.  Because the other DHCP clients always
want to go poke interfaces with new IP addresses.

> Right now we don't have a "tools" subpackage, this is common for other
> large packages. A tools subpackage contains useful commands for admins
> and developers which are not necessary for running the basic package.
> Perhaps 3.0 is a good time to introduce a tools package and move some of
> this stuff into tools making it an optional install. This would also
> bring freeradius in line with other packages. Comments?

  The radsniff, etc. could be put into a "tools" package.  radattr and
dhcpclient should probablt just be skipped during the "make install"
process.  I'll go see if I can do that.