FreeRADIUS 3.0 : mschap module fails to execute ntlm_auth

Bjarni Hardarson freeradius at hardarson.se
Sun Jun 9 01:32:46 CEST 2013

On 7 jun 2013 17:01 "John Dennis" <jdennis at redhat.com> wrote:

> Please don't send more that one email, we heard you the first time.

Sorry about that, i had some trouble with my e-mail client and thought i failed to send it the first time.

> This sounds like a permission problem. Make sure when you run your
> test
> manually you do so as the same user and group radiusd is running as,
> you'll find those values in your radiusd.cong file.
>
> Also if your system is running SELinux check for the presence of AVC's

I am pretty sure that permissions are not the problem. While testing i am running FreeRADIUS as root and i am not running SELinux.

The OS is Ubuntu 12.04. I tried building deb packages with the debian rules but that creates a broken installation. I guess the rules need some work. :)

I thought my OS might be broken so i reinstalled Ubuntu and build the server with.

apt-get build-dep freeradius
apt-get install libssl-dev
./configure && make && make install

The result is the same. The first time i try to authenticate the mschap module says "ERROR: (0) ERROR: mschap : Abnormal child exit: No such file or directory". The second time it says " ERROR: (1) ERROR: mschap : External script says: ?[1m?[33mSun Jun  9 01:11:39 2013 : WARNING: (21) WARNING: mschap : Failed to execute /usr/bin/ntlm_auth: Bad address?[0m".

I guess i will wait for a 3.0 build on launchpad.

Bjarni